Maple Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf has a covering of maple bacon that will add even more flavor and lovely aromas to this classic ground beef favorite. Add a glaze of barbeque sauce and there won’t be any leftovers!
Meatloaf is one of those tried and true recipes that can turn lowly ground beef into a scrumptious cozy meal. Leftovers (if there are any!) can be reheated for a hearty breakfast and also make delicious sandwiches perfect for the lunchbox.
After years of making meatloaf I still make the same basic meatloaf my mom taught me. I think it is interesting that no matter what the decade, all meatloafs are pretty basic in the required proportions of meat/bread/egg. This is the basic meatloaf recipe my Mom taught me and it couldn’t be any easier:
basic meatloaf recipe
- One Pound of Meat – all beef, or a mixture of beef and pork
- One Slice of Bread – torn into very small pieces or made into bread crumbs
- One Egg
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Milk, Half & Half, or Cream
- 1 Teaspoon of Herb Seasoning – like poultry or italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Mix all of the ingredients together and pack into a loaf pan or freeform shape it into a loaf, round, or oval and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes per pound at 350°.
One variation of meatloaf for extra special cozy dinners is to wrap a freeform meatloaf in bacon, which adds even more flavor. A glaze of barbeque sauce gives this homestyle dish a tangy finish and extra beauty.
This Maple Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf recipe has exactly the same proportions of ingredients as the Basic Meatloaf Recipe. The only difference is the addition of an aromatic (onion) and the flavor boosters of Worcestershire sauce, maple bacon and barbeque sauce.
Maple Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- 2 Tablespoons Safflower Oil
- 1 ½ Cups Finely Chopped Onion, About 1 Large
- 1/3 Cup Cream, Half & Half, or Whole Milk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Pounds Ground Beef, (85% Lean)
- 3 Slices White or Sourdough Bread, 1 ½ cups Fresh Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoons Poultry Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoons Black Pepper, Freshly Ground (Fine)
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 7 Slices Maple Bacon, About 10 oz
- 1/2 Cup Barbeque Sauce*
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Line a 14 ½” x 10” sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Heat a 10” skillet over medium heat. Add safflower oil and finely chopped onion. Cook onion until it is translucent, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl beat together eggs, cream, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Place ground beef in an extra-large bowl. Put bread in a food processor and pulse until bread is in fine crumbs. Add bread crumbs, poultry seasoning, black pepper, salt, and cooked onion to the ground beef. Pour egg mixture over all and gently, mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Gather meatloaf mixture into a ball and place on prepared sheet pan. Shape into a 10 inch oval.
- Starting at center of the meatloaf, cover meatloaf diagonally with strips of maple bacon. Trim bacon with kitchen scissors as needed to completely cover the top and sides of the meatloaf.
- Place meatloaf in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush top and sides of meatloaf with barbeque sauce. Return meatloaf to oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and serve.