Corn Salad is bursting with summer goodness with fresh corn, cherry tomatoes, black beans, and feta cheese in a homemade lime vinaigrette.
Corn salad is easy to make and a perfect summer side dish for barbecuing, grilling, and picnics. Each bite is perfectly balanced with a mix of healthy summer vegetables and creamy feta cheese.
This salad is best when allowed to marinate in the lime vinaigrette for at least 2 hours and because there is no mayo, the veggies stay bright and burst with fresh flavor.
Here's what you need:
- Corn - Fresh ears of corn, cooked, and quickly cooled are best. But you can use frozen corn too.
- Cherry Tomatoes - Use the sweetest cherry tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Black Beans - These can be canned. Simply drain and rinse before adding them to the salad.
- Feta Cheese - Crumbled feta cheese brings creaminess and salty flavor to every bite.
- Red Onion - Nothing beats a red onion in fresh salads. They are generally sweet and high aromatic.
- Lime Juice - The flavors of corn and lime go together very well.
- Olive Oil - Use the best quality olive oil. I prefer to use one that is cold pressed and fruity in flavor.
- Honey - The dressing is not supposed to be sweet, but just a touch of honey is needed to soften the acidity of the lime.
- Fine Sea Salt - Salt will bring out the flavors of everything in the salad.
- Black Pepper - Freshly ground black pepper will bring flowery and spicey notes.
- Fresh Herbs - Basil, cilantro, and flat parsley go well with corn and are excellent choices. My favorite is fresh leaves of basil.
Please see the recipe card for exact quantities.
Cook the ears of corn in a large pot of rapidly boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain the ears and add them to cold water and ice to stop the cooking. (blanching)
Cut the kernels from the ears.
While the corn is cooking, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and finely dice the red onion.
In a large bowl add the corn kernels, halved cherry tomatoes, black beans, red onion, and feta cheese. Gently mix and fold with a silicone spatula and set aside.
To a small jar add fresh lime juice, olive oil, honey, sea salt, and black pepper. Cover with a lid and shake the dressing vigorously.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently fold to evenly combine everything. Refrigerate the salad in a sealed container at least 2 hours before serving.
Garnish the corn salad with fresh herbs and serve.
My Top Tips
Make the Salad in Advance. Although this corn salad is delicious, made just a couple of hours before serving, it is even better a day after making it.
Make the Vinaigrette in Advance. You can also make the vinaigrette the day before mixing the corn salad.
Substitutions & Variations
Here are some more ideas to change up a corn salad:
Grill the Corn. Instead of blanching the corn, grill it for a smoky flavor.
Use Frozen Corn Kernels. Instead of fresh ears of corn you can use frozen corn that has been cooked, drained, and cooled.
Use Mozzarella Pearls. If feta is not available, or not to your liking, mozzarella pearls are delicious too.
Add Avocado. Add 1 cup of diced avocado. To make a corn salad with avocado, gently toss the avocado with the lime vinaigrette before adding both to the salad.
Use a Bottled Plain Vinaigrette. Just add a squeeze of lime juice to any plain vinaigrette to use up what you have on hand and/or to save time.
Make-Ahead & Storage
For the best flavor make this salad at least 2 hours before serving. Store it in a sealed refrigerator container for up to 5 days.
If you choose to add avocado, be sure to add it just before serving to keep it bright and green.
A beautiful, vibrant, summer corn salad is a perfect accompaniment to grilled meats, tacos, enchiladas, and stuffed peppers, and actually can be made any time of the year.
More Salads with a Vinaigrette Dressing
- 5 Ears of Corn, Shucked
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1 Cup Black Beans, From a Can, Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- ½ Cup Red Onion, Finely Diced
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- ½ Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Fresh Herbs, Use Leaves of Basil, Cilantro, or Flat Parsley that are Torn or Whole
- Cook the ears of corn in a large pot of rapidly boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain the ears and add them to cold water and ice to stop the cooking. (blanching)5 Ears of Corn
- Cut the kernels from the ears.
- While the corn is cooking, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and finely dice the red onion.1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, ½ Cup Red Onion
- In a large bowl add the corn kernels, halved cherry tomatoes, black beans, red onion, and feta cheese. Gently mix and fold with a silicone spatula and set aside.1 Cup Black Beans, 1 Cup Feta Cheese
- To a small jar add fresh lime juice, olive oil, honey, sea salt, and black pepper. Cover with a lid and shake the dressing vigorously.3 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice, 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 Teaspoon Honey, ½ Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt, ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently fold to evenly combine everything. Refrigerate the salad in a sealed container at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish the corn salad with fresh herbs and serve.¼ Cup Fresh Herbs
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.
♥ — add a comment