Creamy, savory Wild Rice and Chicken Salad is a hit with the crunch of cashews and the sweetness of seedless red grapes.
This salad can be served many ways…as lettuce wraps using butter lettuce or for a crispier texture served with Romaine lettuce. It can also be served plated on a bed of greens or served family style in a serving bowl. Plus it makes a great sandwich Napa Valley style sandwich!
Chicken salad also pairs well with many wines. My favorite pairings are fruit forward Bordeaux style red wines, buttery California Chardonnays, and crisp Rosé wines.
Wild Rice and Chicken Salad
- 1 Cup Wild Rice
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Whole Chicken Breast, Cooked, Cooled, and Cut in ½” Cubes, about 2 Cups
- 1 Cup Chopped Celery
- ⅓ Cup Thinly Sliced Green Onion
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Unsalted Roasted Whole Cashews
- 2 Cups Halved Seedless Red Grapes
- 1 Whole Boston Lettuce, or Whole Baby Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- In a small saucepan bring to a boil the wild rice, chicken broth, water, and salt. Reduce to a very slow simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until wild rice is tender, fluffy, and the kernels have begun to pop open. Drain if necessary and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add 2 cups of the cooked wild rice, cubed chicken, chopped celery, and sliced green onions. Gently fold to combine.
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Continue to fold until all is combined.
- Gently fold in cashews and halved red grapes.
- Serve with whole lettuce leaves.
- Promptly refrigerate any leftovers.