Italian Seasoned Pork Chops in Creamed Corn has the perfect balance of sweet and savory. There are only eight ingredients and seven steps in this version of a simple old-fashioned dish updated for today.
Sometimes you just want something that reminds you of home. Whether, it’s been a hard day at work or a day when things aren’t going quite right, a favorite dish from childhood can make me feel better.
easy comfort food
This dish is my version of one my mom used to make. As a child I loved this dish of browned pork chops baked in creamed corn. Mom’s version was true homestyle, comfort food and although, I loved her version, my palate has changed with time. Now, I crave a little more seasoning oomph… and Italian herbs seemed a perfect choice!
This dish is so comforting and so easy you will want to add it to your rotation of favorite weeknight dinners! It has only 8 ingredients and 7 steps, which is another reason why this is one of my all-time favorite dishes to make… as well as eat!
here’s how to make it
It starts by simply by mixing creamed corn with even more sweet corn kernels in a small bowl. Then, about two thirds of the corn mixture is spread into the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2″ baking dish.
The chops are generously sprinkled with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning and browned in a medium hot fry pan with a touch of shimmering olive oil.
The seasoned and browned chops are then layered on top of the corn.
Lastly, the remaining corn is spooned over the chops. Then simply add a few sprigs of rosemary and cover the whole dish with aluminum foil for a trip to the oven and an easy bake. Before serving add a few fresh sprigs of rosemary for that final touch of beauty!
Don’t you love main dishes that also contain a vegetable? I do!… and now all you need is a favorite green vegetable or salad to round out your meal and add color appeal to your plate.
Italian Seasoned Pork Chops in Creamed Corn
- 1 14.75 oz Can Cream Style Sweet Corn
- 2 Cups Frozen Sweet Corn Kernels, Thawed
- 4 Center Cut Loin Pork Chops Cut ½” Thick
- 1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Safflower Oil
- 1 Sprig Rosemary, Separated into Small Leaf Groupings
- Preheat oven to 375°F/191°C.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the cream style corn and the thawed sweet corn kernels. Set aside for later.
- Dry pork chops completely and season both sides with seasoned salt, fresh ground pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat safflower oil in a 10” skillet over medium heat until oil is shimmering. Add seasoned pork chops two at a time to the skillet and fry them on each side until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer browned chops to a plate. And repeat with remaining two chops.
- Spoon 2/3 of the corn mixture into a 13 x 9” pan. Layer browned pork chops on top of the corn mixture. Spoon remaining corn mixture on top of the pork chops. Garnish with rosemary.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour until chops are tender and casserole is bubbling.
- Remove from oven, garnish with sprigs of rosemary, and serve.
If you love this recipe, you might also like these old fashioned favorites: