A sweet topping with a bit of lemon zest adds extra yum to easy to make Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping.
Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
- ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ¼ Cup Cold Butter
- ¼ Cup Safflower Oil
- ⅓ Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 2 Cups Sifted Flour
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Blueberries, Divided (¾ Cup for Batter, ~¼ Cup Reserved for Top of Muffins)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a medium-sized muffin pan with 12 cupcake/muffin liners. Use liners made of parchment paper or aluminum foil for the easiest release of the muffin from the liner. If liners are not available, grease the bottoms of each muffin cup and let the muffins cool completely in the pan before removing them.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, granulated white sugar, flour, and lemon zest with a fork. Cut in the butter until mixture looks like medium grain rice. Set aside for later.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Reserve one tablespoon of flour mixture.
- In a separate small bowl combine ¾ cup blueberries with the reserved 1 tablespoon of flour mixture. Set aside the dredged blueberries.
- In a medium sized bowl beat together oil, sugar, egg, milk, and lemon zest with a fork.
- Add the flour mixture all at once into the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula gently fold the flour into the wet ingredients but mix only until batter is barely mixed. Streaks and clumps of flour/dough should still be visible.
- Gently fold the dredged blueberries into the batter.
- Fill baking cups ½ full. Top the center of each muffin with the reserved blueberries and follow with the streusel topping. Bake in the oven 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean and the tops are slightly golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing and transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.