A sweet topping with a bit of lemon zest adds extra yum to easy to make Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping.
Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Crumb Topping
A sweet topping with a bit of lemon zest adds extra yum to blueberry muffins.
Servings ~ 12
Calories ~ 206kcal
- Medium-Sized Muffin Pan
- ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ¼ Cup Cold Butter
- ¼ Cup Cooking Oil
- ⅓ Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Blueberries, Divided (¾ Cup for Batter, ~¼ Cup Reserved for Top of Muffins)
- Preheat and Prepare Pan. Preheat the oven to 400°F/204°C. Line a medium-sized muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners or grease the bottoms of each muffin cup.
- Make the Streusel Topping. In a small bowl mix together the light brown sugar, granulated white sugar, flour, and lemon zest with a fork. Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like medium-grain rice. Set aside for later.¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar, ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar, ¼ Cup Flour, 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest, ¼ Cup Cold Butter
- Make the Muffin Batter - Sift. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt onto a sheet of parchment paper or into a medium-sized bowl. Reserve one tablespoon of flour mixture.2 Cups All-Purpose Flour, 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 Teaspoons Salt
- Dredge. In a separate small bowl combine ¾ cup of the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture.1 Cup Blueberries
- Combine Wet Ingredients. In a medium-sized bowl beat together oil, white sugar, egg, milk, and lemon zest with a fork.¼ Cup Cooking Oil, ⅓ Cup Granulated White Sugar, 1 Egg, 1 Cup Whole Milk, 3 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients. Add the flour mixture all at once into the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula gently fold the flour into the wet ingredients but mix only until the batter is barely mixed. Streaks and clumps of flour/dough should still be visible.
- Fold in Blueberries. Gently fold the dredged blueberries into the batter.
- Fill Baking Cups. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking cups ¾ full. Top the center of each muffin with the reserved blueberries and sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean and the tops are slightly golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing and transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.Serve and Enjoy!
Encharted Cook Notes
My Top Tips ♡ All ingredients should be at room temperature unless otherwise noted. ♡ Since the batter will continue to be mixed when the blueberries are added, it is important not to over mix the batter before their addition. ♡ When adding blueberries to the top of the muffins, be sure to add them away from the edges of the baking cups. Blueberries near the edge of the pan or liner may burst and make it more difficult to remove the muffins from the pan and liners. Substitutions & Variations Substitute Cinnamon - If you do not have a lemon on hand to zest, you can omit the lemon zest from the batter and substitute 1 tablespoon of cinnamon for the lemon zest in the streusel topping. Add Vanilla Extract - Some bakers add ½ teaspoon of vanilla to the batter for extra richness of flavor. Make-Ahead & Storage These blueberry muffins are best eaten on the day they are baked. But they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Gently warming the muffins in the oven or microwave will bring out the flavor.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1.3mg
Per 1 serving. All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.