Peanut Butter Scones are quick and easy to make. A touch of maple flavoring brings out the peanut flavor for this breakfast and anytime treat!
Sometimes you need just a little “something something” with a cup of coffee or tea and these scones are a perfect pairing. They have a rich peanut butter flavor and bake up tender and light. Best of all the dough comes together very quickly! So, this scone recipe can be made in less than an hour.
here are the ingredients
The ingredients are mostly all regular pantry or refrigerator staples: All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Dark Brown Sugar, Peanut Butter, Butter, Whole Milk, Egg White, Water, and Sparkling Sugar. Only the maple extract and sparkling sugar might be a special buy for you.
here’s how to make Peanut Butter Scones
Step 1 – For the very best results, all ingredients must be accurately measured. Brown sugar must be packed into the measuring cup.
Step 2 – Sift all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
Step 3 – Using a pastry cutter or a large fork, cut the butter and the peanut butter into the dry ingredients. The mixture will look like coarse sand when ready.
Step 4 – Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the milk and maple flavoring.
Step 5: Mix with a wooden spoon, just until the dough comes together.
Step 6: Turn dough out onto lightly floured parchment paper and shape dough into a 9” square.
Step 7: A diagram for cutting scone dough into 18 triangles.
Step 8: Cut scones and brush with egg white wash. Sprinkle scones generously with sparkling white sugar.
SPECIAL TIP! – To get good clean cuts when cutting the scones, I use a non-serrated knife to get good clean cuts and I wipe the knife with a towel between cuts. Dipping the knife in a bit of flour is also a big help.
Now, all that’s left to do is transfer these beauties to an ungreased baking sheet and bake them!
You can enjoy these Peanut Butter Scones warm or cool and they will keep in a covered container for up to a week.
Peanut Butter Scones
- 2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Dark Brown Sugar, Packed
- ½ Cup Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Butter, Softened
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Maple Flavoring
Egg Wash & Sugar Topping (optional)
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoons Sparkling White Sugar
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the peanut butter and the softened butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in center of crumb mixture and add all of the milk and the maple flavor. Stir just until mixture is moistened and the dough is formed.
- Sift approximately 2 tablespoons of flour on wax papered covered work surface. Pat and shape the dough into a 9-inch square.
- Cut the square into 9 – 3-inch squares. Cut each square diagonally to make 18 triangles. Wipe the knife with a paper towel between cuts and dip in flour to aid in cutting.
- Beat together egg white and water until frothy and well combined. Brush scones with egg white wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Using a spatula, transfer scones to large cookie sheet placing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake 24 to 28 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Using a metal spatula, immediately move the scones from the cookie sheet to cooling racks.
- You can enjoy these scones warm or cool and and they will keep in a covered container for up to a week.
Looking for more baked treats? You might like these:
Plus there are these great related charts: