Banana chocolate chip muffins are topped with a sweet and crunchy coconut crumb topping. Use coconut oil to give these muffins an extra boost of coconut flavor.
Since I’ve already shared a recipe for blueberry muffins, I wanted to do something very different and very special. Immediately, I thought of banana muffins. Then, I thought, how about banana chocolate chip? After that, I thought about hummingbird cake. Hmmmm… hummingbird is delicious, but way too many ingredients for this particular time. Finally, I thought about coconut. Oh yeah… that would be lovely!
The only other thing this flavor profile needs is a nice crunch, so a streusel or crumb topping has got to be on this muffin. That sugary sweet crunch on a soft delicious muffin elevates any ordinary muffin to dizzying heights. Yum!
The recipe is very similar to the muffin ingredients on the Breakfast Quick Breads Chart. Essentially, all I have done is add mashed bananas and reduced the volume of milk. Since I had coconut oil on hand, I decided to double down on the coconut and use coconut oil as the fat in both the muffin and the topping.
Tip #1 - The secret to really delicious banana muffins, cakes, and breads, is to use very ripe, brown-spotted bananas and actually, over-ripe bananas are the very best! My special trick is to freeze any bananas that escaped being eaten in their prime. I just peel them and put them in a plastic freezer bag. Then, when I need prime bananas for baking, I have them on hand. All I need to do is thaw them thoroughly before mashing and adding them to my batter.
Tip #2 – Baking cups and muffin liners. You know… all those pretty ones that are on the market now? Like these?
They are adorable! But, not all of them are grease proof. Just be aware that they may look grease stained and spotted if you use them. I actually love the aluminum baking cups and have used them for years. They peel away easily from any baked muffin or cupcake and I think the aluminum is very attractive for some baked goods.
Tip #3 - Use a moderate oven. The temperature for this recipe is 375 degrees and your bake might be closer to 25 minutes than 20 minutes. I found that the coconut can get too brown at the moderately hot temperature, so a small reduction of 15 degrees was enough to give the coconut crumb topping a nice golden-brown color and still be crunchy when you take a bite.
Tip #4 - Lastly, do let these cool before serving. The topping becomes extra crunchy! Again… Yumm!
Most of all, always remember, to have the very best banana muffins, breads, cakes, and pancakes always use very ripe bananas!
Coconut Crumb Banana Muffins
Coconut Crumb Topping
- ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Mashed Over-Ripe Bananas,, About 2 Medium Sized
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Sifted Flour
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Place 15 free standing baking cups on a large baking sheet, making sure each is well spaced from others. Size of baking cups used for this recipe is 1 ¼” high and 2 ¼” in diameter.
- If desired, a medium sized muffin pan with liners can also be used. Because the chocolate will stick, liners are best when making these muffins. If not using liners, grease the bottoms of each cup and let the muffins cool in the pan before removing.
Coconut Crumb Topping:
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, granulated white sugar, flour, and shredded coconut with a fork. Add coconut oil and stir until mixture looks well combined. Set aside for later.
- In a medium sized bowl beat together, coconut oil and light brown sugar. Add egg and continue to beat well. Stir in vanilla, mashed bananas, and milk, and mix well. (The Creaming Method)
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture all at once into the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula gently fold the flour into the wet ingredients but mix only until batter is barely mixed. Streaks and clumps of flour/dough should still be visible.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full. Top the center of each muffin with coconut crumb topping. Bake in oven 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.