Coconut Crumb Banana Muffins are banana chocolate chip muffins topped with a sweet and crunchy coconut crumb topping. Use coconut oil to give these muffins an extra boost of coconut flavor.
There are detailed instructions, special tips, and insights on making these muffins in the companion post “Banana Muffins for Mother’s Day“.
Coconut Crumb Banana Muffins
Coconut Crumb Topping
- ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Mashed Over-Ripe Bananas,, About 2 Medium Sized
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Sifted Flour
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Place 15 free standing baking cups on a large baking sheet, making sure each is well spaced from others. Size of baking cups used for this recipe is 1 ¼” high and 2 ¼” in diameter.
- If desired, a medium sized muffin pan with liners can also be used. Because the chocolate will stick, liners are best when making these muffins. If not using liners, grease the bottoms of each cup and let the muffins cool in the pan before removing.
Coconut Crumb Topping:
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, granulated white sugar, flour, and shredded coconut with a fork. Add coconut oil and stir until mixture looks well combined. Set aside for later.
- In a medium sized bowl beat together, coconut oil and light brown sugar. Add egg and continue to beat well. Stir in vanilla, mashed bananas, and milk, and mix well. (The Creaming Method)
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture all at once into the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula gently fold the flour into the wet ingredients but mix only until batter is barely mixed. Streaks and clumps of flour/dough should still be visible.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full. Top the center of each muffin with coconut crumb topping. Bake in oven 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.