Creamy, Easy Cooked Oatmeal with Cranberries is a hot, filling breakfast you can make in just 15 minutes.
Sometimes you need a breakfast that you know will warm you up, fill you up, and keep you going for the day. If that's the case, old fashioned cooked oatmeal is a perfect choice.
Everything cooks in one pan, so both cooking and cleaning up is a breeze. If your morning time is very short, you can measure the ingredients the night before to speed up your prep the next morning.
For this recipe you must have old fashioned oats, milk, and dried cranberries. You actually can use any oats, old fashioned, steel cut, or protein. But do not substitute quick oats for the old fashioned oats. Quick oats will be cooked before the dried cranberries have a chance to plump up in the oatmeal.
Additionally, this easy cooked recipe gets an extra punch of flavor from dark brown sugar, and vanilla extract. For an even extra special touch, I like to add a bit of fresh orange zest that pairs so well with the cranberries. The topping is simply a sprinkling of ground cinnamon, more dried cranberries, and a few sliced almonds for crunch appeal.
Cooking this cranberry oatmeal recipe is so easy! All of the ingredients, except the toppings, go into a small saucepan over medium high heat. When the oatmeal begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the oatmeal thickens, which is generally for 7 to 10 minutes.
Then portion out the oatmeal and top it with a sprinkling of cinnamon, a few more dried cranberries, and some sliced almonds.
Substitutions & Variations
❤️ SUBSTITUTE RAISINS - for the dried cranberries.
❤️ SUBSTITUTE WALNUTS - for the sliced almonds.
Of course there are a myriad of dried fruits and nuts you can substitute for the dried cranberries and almonds. Let your favorites guide you!
PIN THIS FOR LATER!
Want to save this Easy Cooked Oatmeal with Cranberries recipe for later? Save it to your Pinterest board!
Easy Cooked Oatmeal with Cranberries
- 2 Cups Milk, Whole, 2%, or Non-Fat
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats, Not Instant
- ¼ Cup Dried Sweetened Cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Grated Orange Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Sweetened Cranberries
- 2 Teaspoons Sliced Almonds
- In a 1-quart saucepan over medium high heat, bring milk, old fashioned oats, ¼ cup of dried sweetened cranberries, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and orange zest to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook oatmeal uncovered for 7 to 10 minutes over medium low heat or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the oatmeal between 2 bowls. Sprinkle each portion with ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon and top each with 1 tablespoon of dried sweetened cranberries and 1 teaspoon of sliced almonds.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.