My low carb, keto Everything Chaffle has all the delicious tastiness of a bagel with cream cheese and everything seasoning, but has only 4 net carbs!
But wait… what exactly is a chaffle? A chaffle is a CHeese wAFFLE! Yup! A waffle with cheese. But it gets better. The most basic chaffle is just egg and mozzarella cheese. Can you believe it contains no flour, no wheat flour at all, that is loaded with carbs? Wh-aaaat?!?!
So, let’s see… it is low carb and perfect for keto dieters. It has no wheat flour, so it is gluten free. And it contains no meat so it is vegetarian. Win! Win!… and Win!
Can you tell I am a little excited about this concoction? A chaffle is delicious on its own plus an amazing little base for all kinds of delicious goodness.
everything eventually becomes clear
You know, I wrote a post more than a year ago that was inspired by a recent Target shopping trip. There were stacks and stacks of cute little personal waffle makers by DASH and on the side was printed “UNPROCESS YOUR FOOD!“.
Seriously folks, I wrote that post February 14, 2018 and was totally clueless as to what spurred Target to have stack upon stack or these cute little boxes. I thought it was to encourage making food from scratch, which it kinda was. But, the real reason is, there has been growing craze for these cute little waffle makers and it comes from demand for the chaffle!
Now, oddly enough, periodically my husband does low carb and he has been sad he couldn’t have an everything bagel. So this past week I was looking for a way to give him more variety than just meat, meat, and more meat and I came across the chaffle. Bingo!
Now it was time to experiment! I started with making 4 versions, one was basic just egg and mozzarella cheese, one version added almond flour, another had a little less almond flour, and one version had a different cheese, a blend of shredded Italian cheeses. For this recipe, the Everything Chaffle, my husband and I agreed on the amount of almond flour and the change in cheese from mozzarella to that Italian blend.
so, let’s cook!
The ingredients are very simple!
As you see, just one egg will make 2 yummy chaffles. Once you get the basic proportions down of 1 egg to 1 ounce of cheese, you, too, can tinker with the recipe for your favorite add-ins and toppings.
here are the basic steps
It is very important your mini waffle maker is hot and ready. So, before you start mixing the chaffle batter, plug in your mini waffle maker. Now, let’s make the batter and start making chaffles!
Step 1 – Chopping your shredded cheese into smaller pieces will make your chaffle more uniformly brown and you will have cheesy goodness in every bite.
Step 2 – Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork, until the yolk and the white is well combined.
Step 3 – Add the rest of the ingredients for the batter; almond flour, chopped and shredded cheese, and salt. Mix well with the fork.
Step 4 – Portion the batter in equal halves and spread one half of the batter onto your hot and ready mini waffle maker. Close the lid and cook the chaffle for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
I use a fork to gently remove the chaffle from the waffle maker and then put the cooked chaffle on a wire rack or folded paper towels to cool. I found that if I plate chaffles right away, moisture forms under them and they won’t be as crisp as I would like.
When the waffle maker comes back up to full temperature, which should be very quickly, it is time to make the other chaffle!
Once both chaffles are made, spread them with cream cheese and give them a sprinkling of Everything Seasoning. If you do not have Everything Seasoning on hand, you can make your own by combining toasted sesame seed, poppy seed, dried onion, dried garlic, and a coarse salt.
Now you have a delicious breakfast treat or anytime snack that you would never think was low carb!
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Ounce 6 Cheese Italian Blend Cheese, Finely Shredded
- 3 Tablespoons Almond Flour
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Butter Flavored Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 Teaspoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Plug in and preheat the mini waffle maker. Many waffle makers have a light to indicate when it is preheated. For best results, be sure it is fully heated before proceeding.
- Crack the large egg into a small bowl and beat vigorously with a fork until the yolk and the white is well combined.
- Using a small chopping board and medium sized knife, chop the shredded italian cheese into smaller pieces. This allows the cheese to be more evenly distributed throughout the egg mixture.
- Add the cheese, almond flour, and salt to the egg mixture and stir with a fork, until all is well combined.
- Spray waffle maker with butter flavored non-stick cooking spray.
- Put 1/2 of the mixture into the center of the grill of a miniature waffle maker. Spread mixture to edges of grill and close waffle maker.
- Cook the chaffle for 5 minutes, or until toasty brown and cooked through.
- Using a small fork gently remove the chaffle and set it on a layer of paper towels to cool.
- Spray waffle maker with butter flavored non-stick cooking spray and cook the remaining chaffle mixture the same as the first one.
- Chaffles will become crispier as they cool.
- Spread chaffles with cream cheese and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
Pickled Deviled Eggs
Looking for another low carb and keto friendly choice? Try my Pickled Deviled Eggs!