Do you love pickles, but hate to wait? Quick Pickled Cucumber with Lemon is that special condiment for your next barbeque or bowl. These Asian style pickles with lemon are ready in less than 20 minutes!
Years ago, I was very lucky to learn a little bit of Asian cooking from a lovely Japanese woman, who was masterful at putting a dinner together that hit every taste you would want in your meal. To balance the salt and savory components on the plate, her meals always included some sort of tsukemono, a preserved, pickled vegetable.
Sometimes, it was daikon radish, or cabbage, or burdock root. But my favorite was always her quick pickled cucumber. Added to a meal of rice, meat, and veg, they are the perfect refresher for your palate. These pickles refresh your taste buds the same way wine can enhance food and make your palate ready for another bite.
I love that this particular pickle adds lovely lemon acidity and brightness and they are so quick and easy to make! They only need 15 minutes in the pickling liquid, which means you can make them just before making the rest of your meal and they will be ready to serve by the time you sit down to eat.
Quick Pickled Cucumber with Lemon
- ½ Cup White Vinegar
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Large English Cucumber
- Lemon Zest or Thinly Sliced Nori Seaweed
- In a small saucepan mix together white vinegar, granulated sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil while stirring and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add lemon juice and stir well.
- Thinly slice cucumber either crosswise in discs or lengthwise into ribbons. Place the sliced cucumber in a non-metallic medium bowl or container and pour the pickling liquid over the cucumber.
- Allow to stand at least 15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate, if desired.
- Garnish with lemon zest or finely sliced Nori.
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.