Pistachio Fluff Salad is a favorite recipe since the '70s for potlucks, cookouts, and get-togethers. This easy 5 ingredient recipe comes together in just minutes.
If you loved my Mandarin Orange Fluff you are going to love this beautiful pale green Pistachio Fluff Salad. Just like orange fluff, this recipe is a favorite for gatherings and is one of the easiest fluff salad recipes you can make.
It contains pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, marshmallows, whipped topping, and chopped pecans and of these 5 ingredients, only two require measuring which makes it very quick to make.
The original pistachio fluff recipe was developed by General Foods to help market their new pistachio pudding flavor. The year was 1975 and they named it "Pistachio Pineapple Delight". But it has been called by many other names like "Watergate Salad", Green Fluff, and "Shut the Gate" and there are lots of stories about who invented this fluff dessert and named it whatever name, which to me are just urban myths.
Whatever you call it, this dessert is a delicious combination of pistachio and pineapple that is completely irresistible.
So... let's make some!
- Whipped Topping - Thawed frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip) is the traditional ingredient for this fluff dessert.
- Crushed Pineapple - Any brand of crushed pineapple is delicious. I prefer pineapple canned "in its own juice" but you can use "light syrup" too.
- Pistachio Pudding Mix - This is the 3.4-ounce package "instant pudding" mix from Jell-O. Although store-branded pudding mixes are available I have not tried any other brand of pistachio pudding.
- Mini Marshmallows - Just plain vanilla mini marshmallows. No need to cut them. Just measure and add.
- Chopped Pecans - I prefer to buy whole pecans and cut them myself for a fresher taste and to get the perfect size of the pieces of pecans.
Please see the recipe card for quantities.
Stir together the crushed pineapple and the instant pistachio pudding in a large bowl until they are well combined.
Add the whipped topping and mix well.
Fold in the mini marshmallows and chopped pecans.
Substitutions & Variations
Omit the nuts. The original recipe was completely no fuss and did not contain chopped nuts. So feel free to omit them.
Substitute chopped walnuts for the chopped pecans.
Substitute stabilized whipped cream for the frozen whipped topping.
Make-Ahead & Storage
Pistachio Fluff Salad can be made one day ahead or made just 1 hour before serving. It stores well in a covered container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
My Top Tips
Do not drain the crushed pineapple! This recipe needs both the juice and the fruit.
For the quickest prep time chop the nuts and measure the marshmallows before starting to mix the fluff.
More Great Fruit and Fluff Desserts
Pistachio Fluff Salad
- 20 Ounces Crushed Pineapple with Juice
- 1 Package Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix, 3.4 Ounce
- 8 Ounces Frozen Whipped Topping, Thawed
- 1 Cup Mini Marshmallows
- ½ Cup Chopped Pecans
- Stir together the crushed pineapple and the instant pistachio pudding in a large bowl until they are well combined.20 Ounces Crushed Pineapple with Juice, 1 Package Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
- Add the whipped topping and mix well.8 Ounces Frozen Whipped Topping
- Fold in the mini marshmallows and chopped pecans.1 Cup Mini Marshmallows, ½ Cup Chopped Pecans
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.