Lazy Daisy Cake is a great way to end an Autumn meal. You will love the delicious, simply made hot milk sponge cake, but the rich and sweet caramel topping is the real star.
Not just a delicious cool weather favorite, Lazy Daisy Cake is also what I call a “special” cake. Not because it is fancy, but because it breaks several rules in the making of a cake batter.
The method used to mix the batter is not exactly the same as making a true sponge cake. However, the crumb is very similar.
Adding hot milk to the batter gives this cake a distinctive and delicious flavor that enhances the vanilla flavoring.
The hot milk also allows the batter to come together very quickly.
True sponge cakes rely solely on egg white to provide leavening. This cake also contains baking powder to act as the leavening agent.
You can make this cake just before sitting down for dinner and it will be ready to be enjoyed after everyone has eaten. After the dishes have been cleared, the cake is topped with the broiled “frosting” and within a minute the cake can be served.
Lazy Daisy Cake
- 5 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cream
- ½ Cup Chopped Nuts
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Cake Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Shortening
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and grease and flour a 9” square baking pan. If using a dark colored metal pan or glass pan, reduce temperature 25° to 325° F (163° C).
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, melted butter, cream and nuts. Set aside.
- Beat eggs until thick and light in color. Add sugar gradually, beating until very well blended. Add vanilla.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sifted ingredients to egg and sugar mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- In a small saucepan bring milk and butter to a boil. Add all at once to the mixture. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake 35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- While cake is still warm spread with the reserved topping.
- Bake cake under broiler 30 to 45 seconds or until topping is bubbling. Watch very closely to prevent the topping from burning.