Easy 3 Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip makes entertaining easy with layers of cream cheese, chili, and cheese that bakes to gooey perfection!
The best party foods are easy to make and take almost no time to assemble, which is why this chili with cheese dip appetizer is one of the best you can make when entertaining.
Simply spread the three must-have ingredients in a pie pan and bake. Then serve immediately. You will need some hearty dippers for this dip, like Fritos corn chips, pita chips, or a hearty tortilla chip.
I like to add a sprinkling of sliced green onions and sometimes sliced cherry tomatoes to make it pretty. In addition to being a nice garnish, the green onions bring another layer of savory taste to this chili dip with cream cheese.
- Cream Cheese - Cream cheese makes gives this dip more body to make it more scoopable. The smooth creamy flavor of the cream cheese also tames the spice of the chili.
- Chili - Any canned chili will do. Chili with beans or without beans, it's all good. You can't go wrong if you pick your favorite brand or use your favorite recipe.
- Shredded Cheese - I prefer sharp cheddar, but colby-jack, and mozzarella are good too.
- Green Onions - Optional garnish. I slice the green portion of green onions on a steep diagonal to make a nice garnish.
- Cherry Tomatoes - Optional garnish. Thinly sliced cherry tomatoes are pretty garnish and delicious too.
Please see the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Spread a layer of cream cheese across the bottom of a 9 ½” pie plate.
Spread chili over the cream cheese until it completely covers the cream cheese.
Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the chili.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the dip is bubbling and the cheese is melted and slightly brown.
If you want it to look party-pretty sprinkle some sliced green onions and cherry tomatoes over the melted cheese.
Be sure to serve the dip with hearty tortilla chips, Fritos corn chips, or toasted pita bread. Thin chips will break and you won't get a nice scoop of the warm gooey dip.
My Top Tips
Warm the Cream Cheese - The cream cheese will spread easier if it is not cold from the refrigerator. Simply set the cream cheese out to warm at room temperature while you do other things. You can also warm cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds at a time at a low defrost setting.
Shred the Cheese Yourself - Use a block of cheese and shred the cheese yourself for the best melting cheese. Packaged shredded cheese is coated with an agent to keep the cheese from sticking and clumping and this agent also changes the look and texture of melted cheese.
Substitutions & Variations
ADD ROASTED GREEN CHILES - For piquant and mildly pungent notes, add a can of drained chopped and roasted mild green chiles either to the cream cheese or layer them on top of the cream cheese before the chili.
ADD HOT SAUCE - Add some of your favorite hot sauce to the chili layer to change up the heat of the chili.
SUBSTITUTE A FLAVORED CREAM CHEESE - Chive and onion cream cheese is absolutely delicious in this chili cheese dip. Substitute half or all of the plain cream cheese for flavored cream cheese.
You can make this dip up to the point of baking it and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it. For the best results let the dip come to room temperature before baking it.
Refrigerate any leftover dip in a covered container. This dip can be reheated in a microwave for a quick snack.
More Cheesy Dishes
Chili Cheese Dip
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 15 Ounces Chili Without Beans
- 8 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- ¼ Cup Green Onions, Sliced
- 8 Each Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spread a layer of cream cheese across the bottom of a 9 ½” pie plate.
- Spread chili over the cream cheese until it completely covers the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the chili.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the dip is bubbling and the cheese is melted and slightly brown.
- Top with sliced green onions and cherry tomatoes. Serve with hearty tortilla chips, corn chips, or toasted pita bread.
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.