Creamy, cheesy, Green Chile Mac and Cheese gets just a touch of heat from green chiles. This slow cooker recipe has the easiest, fastest prep ever for busy days!
Sometimes you just need easy comfort food to get you through a tough and busy day. Easy, as in simply stirring ingredients together and then letting a crockpot slow cook a delicious comforting meal.
A few months ago, my neighbor Donalyn, knew I was having one of those days and she was having a tough time too. She graciously made this particular recipe and gifted me with a comfort meal that I will never forget. Her mac and cheese was so creamy, so cheesy, with just a touch of green chile heat, I just had to ask for the recipe. I was so surprised when the prep was as simple as stirring the ingredients in a slow cooker and then letting it slow cook away!
These are the kind of dinners you dream of being able to make! We all need easy and comforting food, especially when life is too busy and too complicated.
Now, you might be thinking, “Another mac & cheese”? Humbug! But this mac and cheese is made extra special with the addition of green chiles and diced tomatoes. I love mac and cheese that has tomato added and this version is another kick-up in flavor with the addition of the green chiles.
Are you ready to make the easiest, kicked up mac and cheese? Great!
so, let's cook!
This mac and cheese has only 8 ingredients: macaroni, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, condensed cheddar cheese soup, diced green chiles, sour cream, diced tomatoes with green chiles, water, and croutons.
Another great thing about this recipe is you can completely personalize it for your own taste. Want it spicier? Don't have cheddar cheese soup? Want another layer of flavor or more protein? You can easily make substitutions and additions!
Step 1 - Add the condensed cheddar cheese soup, Rotel brand diced tomatoes, sour cream, and diced green chiles. Mix well with a whisk or large spoon.
Step 2 - Stir in the macaroni, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and the water. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
Step 3 - After cooking on low for 4 hours, stir the mac and cheese and sprinkle more cheese on top.
Step 4 - Top the cheese layer with crushed croutons and cover. Continue to cook for another hour.
- 1 Large Can of Chicken
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 1 Large Can of Solid White Albacore Tuna
- 1 Cup of Crispy French Fried Onions
- Rotel Mild Tomatoes - Substitute the "Original" for more spice or the "Hot" for real heat.
- Mild Green Chiles - Substitute "Fire Roasted" for a smokier flavor or amp up the heat with a spicier chile.
- Cheddar Cheese Condensed Soup - Substitute Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, or any other "cream" variety you like.
- Macaroni Pasta - Any hearty pasta is fantastic! Penne, rigatoni, and cellentani pasta are all excellent choices and are interchangeable for macaroni in this recipe.
As you see there are lots of variations for this mac and cheese. I heartily recommend adding shredded rotisserie chicken. I love the extra taste and texture from the chicken.
... and that's it! Really! Serve it with a nice green salad, or some veg, and you have the easiest full out comfort meal, you might have ever made!
Green Chile Mac and Cheese Slow Cooker Recipe
- 6 Quart Crock Pot
- 1 Can Cheddar Cheese Soup, Condensed , 10.5 Ounce Can
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Mild Green Chiles, 10 Ounce Can
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Diced Mild Green Chiles, 4 Ounce Can
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded and Divided
- ½ Pound Macaroni or Pasta, Uncooked
- 2 Cups Crushed Croutons
- In a large 6 quart slow cooker, whisk together the condensed cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, Rotel diced tomatoes, fire roasted green chiles, and water. Add the entire contents of each can and do not drain.
- Stir in the macaroni and 1 cup of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Reserve the remaining 1 cup of cheese for later.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook for 4 hours on low.
- Remove the lid and stir the macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle the top with the reserved 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Then, top the cheese with the crushed croutons.
- Recover with the lid and continue to cook for 1 hour more.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.