Spaghetti Aglio with Green Peas is a delicious light dinner or late night snack. You can make it in only 15 minutes! Enjoy it with a glass of white wine and crusty rustic bread.
I first had this dish about 20 years ago in a small Italian restaurant on Solano Avenue in Berkeley, California.
Unsure of what I wanted to order, the waiter recommended this dish that was not officially on the menu, but was the chef’s personal favorite. If a bowl of beautifully made ramen made with happiness by the chef can make your day brighter, then this spaghetti is pure love on a plate.
You will find many versions of this dish, but they are all basically the same with the base players being spaghetti, olive oil, and garlic. I like a little heat and add red pepper flakes. But, my hands down favorite version is to add fresh green peas. That is what I like the most of all the additions and stir-ins. I love green peas so much in this dish, I always have them in the freezer “just in case”.
Of course, everyone has their favorite additions. Some people like to add sun dried tomatoes, asparagus tips, diced and cooked pancetta or ham, crumbled bacon, their favorite fresh herbs, or crushed garlicky croutons. My husband says topping it with toasted walnuts is his favorite and I have to agree that is very tasty too.
But my favorite is… and always will be… green peas!
Spaghetti Aglio with Green Peas
- 6 Ounces Uncooked Spaghetti
- 3 Teaspoons Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Pressed or Minced Finely (2 about Teaspoons)
- 2 Pinches Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Cup Cooked Green English Peas
- 3 Tablespoons Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- Fill a large pot with cold water, add salt, and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add spaghetti and cook just before it is al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water from pot and drain spaghetti.
- Meanwhile, as pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook just until garlic and red pepper flakes are fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Do not let garlic brown.
- Add drained spaghetti and toss to coat in spiced garlic oil. Add cooked green peas and reserved pasta water. Continue to cook over medium heat until all is combined and the water is absorbed by the pasta.
- Add grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Stir well and plate immediately… and Enjoy!