Minty Kiss Hot Chocolate is smooth and creamy with just a kiss of Crème de Menthe. It is a perfect after dinner drink!
Don’t you sometimes want just a little sweetness at the end of your meal? My version of a mint hot chocolate is a little sweet with just a hint of mint. I think to call this a cocktail is not exactly right, since it is mostly milk, cream, & egg. But it does contain a very small amount of Crème de Menthe, just enough to give it a whisper of mint flavor and a lovely light green color.
Making this mint hot chocolate is very easy. You start with milk, cream, and white chocolate (*yum!*) and add tempered egg yolks. Then cook just until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon… like this:
Then whisk in vanilla extract and Crème de Menthe and you are ready to pour, garnish, and serve!
Why does this recipe work?
White chocolate and the egg yolks add a rich creaminess to this drink and the Crème de Menthe adds brightness not only in color but in taste. Oh… but let’s not forget the vanilla extract which calms the mint flavor and makes this mint hot chocolate so easy to sip!
Substitute Milk Chocolate for White Chocolate - Minty Kiss won’t have that lovely green color, but it will be very tasty with milk chocolate. Be sure to taste and add sugar if needed.
Lastly, this mint hot chocolate recipe makes two generous 8-ounce servings. But you certainly can use smaller cups for petite tastings that would yield 4 to 5 servings.
So, give Minty Kiss Hot Chocolate a try. I promise you won't be sorry! Afterall, if you need an excuse, St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner!
Minty Kiss Hot Chocolate
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Ounces White Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 Egg Yolks
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Crème de Menthe
- ½ Cup Miniature Marshmallows
- 2 Teaspoons Dark Crème de Menthe
- Sprigs of Mint
- Mix together whole milk and heavy cream in a small, heavy bottomed 1-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add chopped white chocolate and continue to cook mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is hot and white chocolate is melted.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a fork and add ½ cup of the hot milk mixture to temper the egg yolks. Beat milk and yolks well with a fork.
- Add the tempered egg mixture to the saucepan and continue to cook until mixture is slightly thickened and smooth about 8 to 10 minutes. Mixture will coat the back of a spoon. Be careful to not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and crème de menthe.
- Pour into mugs or cups and top with miniature marshmallows.
- Drizzle one teaspoon of crème de menthe over the marshmallow topping of each mug and garnish with sprigs of mint. Serve & Enjoy!