With fresh herbs and a tangy clean flavor, Green Goddess Salad Dressing is still an enduring classic salad dressing. With just 9 ingredients and a very quick prep time, this might become be your favorite salad dressing year round.
This dressing is so simple to make and is even better, if made the day before you serve it. Just a few pantry ingredients plus the fresh herbs and lemon make this delicious salad dressing.
My version of this classic salad dressing is based on the original that was invented by Executive Chef Phillip Roemer of The Palace Hotel in San Francisco. This is the one true original recipe that contains only the herbs of parsley and chives.
To say Green Goddess is my favorite salad dressing is an understatement! I absolutely love this dressing... and not just on salad! It also makes a wonderful dip and sauce.
So... this is how easy this classic dressing comes together:
Place parsley and chives into the bowl of a small 3 cup food processor. Pulse herbs until very finely chopped.
Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining ingredients.
Pulse until all is well combined.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Pour into a container and cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This dressing is very thick. If a pourable dressing is desired, add half and half or whole milk to the dressing until the desired thickness is achieved. Be sure to check the seasoning and adjust as needed.
Substitute Taragon - If you like the flavor of fresh taragon you can substitute it for some portion of the parsley and chives. There are many versions of this dressing that contain taragon, most notably the version published by The New York Times.
Substitute Yogurt - You can substitute plain unflavored yogurt for any or all of the sour cream.
Green Goddess Salad Dressing
- ¼ Cup Parsley, Packed (about 1 oz.)
- ¼ Cup Snipped Chives, Packed (about 1 oz.)
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise, I Actually Prefer Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper,, if desired
- Place parsley and chives into the bowl of a small 3 cup food processor. Pulse herbs until very finely chopped.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining ingredients. Pulse until all is well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Pour into a container and cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.