Strawberry Frosé Slushies are refreshing and fun! All you need are 5 ingredients and a blender for this delicious treat.
Strawberry Frosé Slushies are made by blending rosé wine with frozen strawberries and a few on hand ingredients for a sweet, lightly boozy, and refreshing frozen drink. They literally take just a few minutes to make and can be made in advance and stored in the freezer.
What makes this wine slushy so delicious is the flavors of the wine and the fruit are balanced by sweetness and acidity. Triple sec adds sweetness and the flavor of oranges that keep this slushy from tasting "winey". Adding simple syrup compensates for the very cold temperature and lemon juice adds bright acidity to make you say "wow!" with every sip.
Now, I know what you are thinking! Why does this wine slushy have five ingredients? Do I really need that many? After all, many frosé and wine slushy recipes have only 2 or 3 ingredients. Which means the recipe is just wine, frozen fruit or ice, and maybe some fruit juice.
But that is the "gotcha"!... and why a wine slushy is sometimes disappointing! The fruit must be perfectly sweet and the wine must be an exceptional pairing with the fruit. In short, a two ingredient wine slushy can taste "winey" and lack depth. Which is why adding a little sweetness and a squeeze of lemon puts these frosé slushies over the top in taste.
So..... let's make some wine slushies!
Here's what you need:
- Pink Moscato Rosé Wine - A sweet rosé is best for this drink. The best choices for this frosé are very sweet wines like pink moscato, pink riesling, or a berry flavor infused pink rosé. Other good choices are slightly less sweet wines like a white zinfandel or a white merlot and yes all of these wines are pink too, even though they are "white".
- Triple Sec Liqueur - Triple sec is a sweet, clear, orange flavored liqueur which will add dimension to this frozen wine cocktail. However, it is important not to add too much.
- Frozen Strawberries - Frozen strawberries usually are picked at their peak flavor and then quickly frozen. Using frozen fruit instead of ice gives the very best fruity flavor.
- Lemon Juice - Lemon juice is excellent for adding acidity to a dish, sauce, or drink which can brighten the flavor of food.
- Simple Syrup - Simple syrup is a sweet liquid made from sugar and water that are simmered just until a clear liquid is formed. The syrup can then be cooled and stored to sweeten beverages and foods.
- Fresh Strawberries (for Garnish) - Just one lovely fresh strawberry makes an elegant garnish for this frozen drink. But if you don't have any fresh strawberries, you can use a small cocktail paper umbrella or just serve it with a pretty straw.
How to Make Strawberry Rosé Slushies
Step 1 - In a blender add the frozen strawberries, rosé wine, simple syrup, Triple Sec liqueur, and the lemon juice.
Step 2 - Blend the ingredients until the mixture is smooth. Give the mixture a quick taste and, if needed, add more simple syrup and re-blend.
Step 3 - Pour the slushies into glasses and garnish with fresh strawberries as desired.
Frosé slushies can be made in advance and stored in a zip lock bag in the freezer. When ready to serve, thaw the slushy mixture for a few minutes at room temperature before serving. Massage the zip lock bag, cut a corner from the bag, and squeeze the frosé directly into glasses or cups.
Top 3 Tips for Making Frozen Drinks
Use Frozen Fruit - Using frozen fruit will give your drink an extra boost of flavor. You can also freeze fruit juice into ice cubes. Only use plain ice when you need to dilute the alcohol in a drink.
Use Simple Syrup - You may be tempted to leave out the simple syrup in this recipe, especially if you typically enjoy less sweet drinks. But, adding sweetness gives balance to the flavor because our tastebuds do not easily recognize "sweet" when food is too cold. This is why sweeter slushies are so delicious. As they partially melt, they taste both sweet and refreshing!
Add Acidic Juice - Just like for many sauces and dishes, a squeeze of lemon juice will add acid and balance to the flavor of a frozen drink. In place of lemon juice use any other citrus fruit juice, or even pineapple juice to balance the flavors.
Substitute Honey - Honey makes a terrific substitution for simple syrup. My personal favorite honey is orange blossom honey which tastes fantastic in this slushy.
Use Other Fruits & Wines - You can also make this basic recipe with other frozen fruits, wines, and liqueurs, but you will have to adjust the amount of simple syrup and liqueur to get that perfect fruity flavored wine slushy. Simply blend the wine and the frozen fruit together, take a quick taste and add a small amount of simple syrup and a liqueur, and then quickly re-blend.
My personal opinion is that pink moscato, with its general profile of peach and apricot notes with hints of cherry and berry, makes it a great choice for most wine slushies. But if you are craving a different summer fruit, here are a few substitutions and variations to try:
|Peaches||Sweet Riesling||Peach Schnapps|
|Watermelon||Any White Wine||Patron Citronge Lime|
To me there is nothing more refreshing on a hot day than a sweet & fruity frozen drink and this strawberry frosé is exactly what I want. It is not too sweet and tastes like being on vacation.
So, how do you frosé? Let me know in the comments!
More Refreshing Drinks
Strawberry Frosé Slushies
- 16 Ounces Frozen Strawberries
- 2 Cups Rosé Wine, Cold, Pink Moscato or any Sweet Rosé Wine
- 3 Ounces Simple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Triple Sec Liqueur
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Whole Fresh Strawberries
- In a blender add the frozen strawberries, rosé wine, simple syrup, Triple Sec liqueur, and fresh lemon juice.
- Blend the ingredients until the mixture is smooth. Give the mixture a quick taste and, if needed, add more simple syrup and re-blend.
- Pour the slushies into glasses and garnish with fresh strawberries as desired.
SubstitutionsSubstitute Honey - Honey makes a terrific substitution for simple syrup. My personal favorite honey is orange blossom honey which tastes fantastic in this slushy.
VariationsUse Other Fruits & Wines - You can also make this basic recipe with other frozen fruits, wines, and liqueurs, but you will have to adjust the amount of simple syrup and liqueur to get that perfect fruity flavored wine slushy. Simply blend the wine and the frozen fruit together, take a quick taste and add a small amount of simple syrup and a liqueur, and then quickly re-blend.
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.