Leftover chicken doesn’t have to be boring. Savory Chicken Curry Pocket Pies pack well for a yummy lunch or enjoy them at your next luncheon with friends.
These small delicious hand pies are wonderful with any filling. For this version I made a savory chicken curry filling. To make them easily, I used two sheets of puff pastry, which gives them a lovely flakey texture.
After laying a sheet of puff pastry onto my pastry board, I divided the chicken curry mixture evenly into 6 portions and mounded it on the puff pastry in 6 rectangular sections. A gentle brush of egg wash between the pie fillings helps seal the pies. Cover the filling with another sheet of puff pastry. Cut individual pies with a pastry cutter and seal the edges of each pie with a fork. Before baking, the top of each pie gets a brushing of egg wash for glorious color.
These bake up deliciously golden brown and are a lovely lunch with a green salad. I hope you enjoy them!
- Apple & Berry Rustic Tart
- Apple Pie with Sweet Cookie Crust
- Pie Crust Recipes Chart
- Washes for Baked Good Chart
Chicken Curry Pocket Pies
- 1 Package of Frozen Puff Pastry, 2 Sheets
Chicken Curry Filling:
- 1 Tablespoon Safflower, or Canola Oil
- 1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic, (about one large clove)
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Root, Freshly Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 Cups Finely Chopped Rotisserie or other Cooked Chicken
- ½ Cup Peas & Diced Carrots, (Frozen, Thawed from Package)
- ¼ Cup Currants, Plumped in ½ Cup Boiling Water and Drained
- 2/3 Cup Mayonnaise
- ½ Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Cream
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Allow frozen puff pastry to thaw at room temperature, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat together, egg and cream. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion to oil in pan and cook until onion is transparent about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook about one minute, stirring constantly. Do not let garlic brown.
- Add ginger root, curry powder, cumin, and salt and cook another minute.
- Add chicken, peas & carrots, and currants. Stir and cook about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool and add mayonnaise, cheese, and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- On a very lightly floured surface, unroll one puff pastry. Imagine the pastry divided equally into 6 rectangles and place approximately 1/3 cup chicken curry filling onto each rectangle. Moisten edges of each puff pastry around each rectangle with water. Unroll second puff pastry and place over first sheet. Gently press down and around fillings. Using a pastry wheel cut rectangles apart and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush each pie with egg and cream wash and press edges with a fork to seal. Vent top of each pie with a very small knife slit.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown.