Sweet, chewy, and buttery Springtime Marshmallow Treats are an all-time favorite and have only 5 ingredients. Using butter and adding vanilla make the best tasting marshmallow treat you will ever have!
I just can’t seem to get enough marshmallows and this recipe has two kinds! Plain white marshmallows are melted and all ooey gooey and miniature pastel marshmallows are added at just the right time to give soft pops of color and a subtle fruit flavor.
These are seriously the best marshmallow treats because they stay chewy for days, simply by increasing the amount of one ingredient found in most recipes for marshmallow treats.
The secret is in using the right amount of butter for a soft, chewy texture!
But wait! There is another bonus to adding the right amount of butter. Because these treats are soft and chewy, they are also very moldable.
You can butter the inside of plastic eggs and create adorable “egg treats” that can brighten your table and be a treat for guests to take home. Or spread the treats into a well buttered oblong pan and cut them into squares to enjoy.
Either way, you will love the sweet, buttery flavor and chewy texture. Wrap these Springtime Marshmallow treats in plastic wrap and they will easily keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, which means they are a perfect make ahead treat!
Springtime Marshmallow Treats
- 1 Tablespoon Butter,, Softened
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 40 Plain Regular Sized Marshmallows,, 10 oz. package
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract,, Optional
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 Cups Miniature Pastel Colored Marshmallows
Prepare Egg Molds and/or Pans:
- Wash and thoroughly dry fillable plastic eggs and or pans of your choice. Very lightly grease the interior of each egg and/or pan using the 1 tablespoon of softened butter. This recipe will fill 6 – 2 ¼” plastic eggs plus one 13 x 4 tart pan. It will also fill one 13 x 9 pan.
Make Marshmallow Treats:
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the 6 tablespoons of butter over very low heat until melted. Add the plain marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract and gently fold in cereal. As mixture comes together, stop stirring and allow the mixture to cool slightly, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Gently fold in the pastel colored marshmallows.
Mold Eggs or Press into Prepared Pans:
- Press the marshmallow treats into the plastic eggs. Coating your hands with a bit of soft butter or cooking spray will help keep the treats from sticking to your hands. Fill the eggs well and snap them closed. Alternatively, or additionally, press treats into well buttered pans.
- Serve or gift the molded treats in the plastic egg. Cut treats pressed into pans as desired. Wrap well with plastic wrap to keep fresh and chewy.