Sweet, chewy, and buttery Springtime Marshmallow Treats are an all-time favorite and have only 5 ingredients. Using butter and adding vanilla make the best-tasting marshmallow treat you will ever have!
I just can’t seem to get enough marshmallows and this recipe has two kinds! Plain white marshmallows are melted until they are all ooey-gooey and miniature pastel marshmallows are added at just the right time to give soft pops of color and a subtle fruit flavor.
These are seriously the best marshmallow treats because they stay chewy for days, simply by increasing the amount of one ingredient found in most recipes for marshmallow treats.
What is the secret to making soft and chewy marshmallow treats?
The secret is in using the right amount of butter for a soft, chewy texture!
But wait! There is another bonus to adding the right amount of butter. Because these treats are soft and chewy, they are also very moldable.
You can butter the inside of plastic eggs and create adorable “egg treats” that can brighten your Easter table and be a treat for guests to take home. Or spread the treats into a well-buttered oblong pan and cut them into bars or squares to enjoy.
Either way, you will love the sweet, buttery flavor and chewy texture that is just like the Starbucks Marshmallow Dream Bar.
- Rice Krispies Cereal - Actually, a crisped rice cereal of any brand will work.
- Marshmallows - Just regular-sized marshmallows of your favorite brand.
- Clear Vanilla Extract - I like adding clear vanilla so that the marshmallow stays as light as possible in color, but you can also use pure vanilla extract.
- Pastel Mini Marshmallows - The pastel mini marshmallows not only add springtime colors to these marshmallow treats, but they also add a delicate fruit flavor.
- Butter - I prefer to use salted butter. But you can use unsalted butter also.
Please see the recipe card for quantities.
With 1 tablespoon of butter, grease a 13x9 inch pan and set it aside.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the 6 tablespoons of butter over very low heat until melted. Add the plain marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted completely.
Stir in vanilla extract and gently fold in cereal. As the mixture comes together, stop stirring and allow the mixture to cool slightly about 4 to 5 minutes.
Gently fold in the pastel-colored marshmallows.
Spread and press the treat mixture into the prepared pan.
Substitute plain mini marshmallows for the pastel fruit-flavored mini marshmallows.
Substitute Regular Sized Marshmallows for the mini marshmallows by cutting them into small pieces.
Easter Variation - Molded Eggs
Wash and thoroughly dry fillable plastic eggs and or pans of your choice. Very lightly grease the interior of each egg and/or pan using 1 tablespoon of softened butter. This recipe will fill 6 – 2 ¼” plastic eggs plus one 13 x 4 tart pan.
Press the marshmallow treats into the plastic eggs.
Coating your hands with a bit of soft butter or cooking spray will help keep the treats from sticking to your hands.
Fill the eggs well and snap them closed. Serve or gift the molded treats in the plastic egg.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Wrap these Rice Krispies marshmallow treats in plastic wrap and they will easily keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, which means they are a perfect make-ahead treat!
My Top Tips
Work quickly after adding the mini marshmallows and immediately spread the Rice Krispies treats in the prepared pan.
You can press them down into the pan for a dense bar or lightly press them in for a less dense and taller bar.
More Sweet Treats
Springtime Marshmallow Treats
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, Softened
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 40 Plain Regular Sized Marshmallows, 10 oz. package
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 Cups Miniature Pastel Colored Marshmallows
- With the 1 tablespoon of butter, grease a 13x9 inch pan and set it aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the 6 tablespoons of butter over very low heat until melted. Add the plain marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted completely.
- Stir in vanilla extract and gently fold in cereal. As the mixture comes together, stop stirring and allow the mixture to cool slightly about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Gently fold in the pastel-colored marshmallows.
- Spread and press the treat mixture into the prepared pan.
- Cut the treats into squares or rectangles. Wrap well with plastic wrap to keep the treats fresh and chewy.
Nutrition Per Serving
All nutritional information on this site is an estimate. Your results may vary.